Approved Course for Accelerating Science: Open Access Professional Learning (OAPL). Eligible Massachusetts educators may take this course at no cost. Visit OAPL website to learn more.
Eligible Massachusetts educators may take this course at no cost. Specifically, this course is open to any currently-employed Massachusetts public and charter school educator whose work relates to science in grades 6-12. This includes general education teachers, special education teachers, ESL or language support teachers, principals, coaches, and other school or district administrators whose work relates to science. (Massachusetts Education Personnel ID (MEPID) is required for free OAPL registration.)
Stipends and PDPs
Non-School Day Stipend: Eligible participants completing the PD will receive a stipend of $150 upon course completion*.
*Course Completion Requirements: Per DESE guidance, course completion requires that participants:
- Complete 80% of online hours and attend Zoom course sessions
- Complete pre & post knowledge assessment
- Complete a DESE-created end of course survey
Note: Only participants who meet these requirements will be eligible for stipends.
PDPs: Participants earn a certificate of completion for 12 hours of professional development.
Early Access Eligibility
- Registration priority is given to educators who hold an emergency license and are currently employed in an eligible role in one or more of the following fields: Early Childhood, Elementary, Moderate Disabilities, Biology, Chemistry, Earth & Space Science, General Science, MS Math/Science, Physics, and Technology/Engineering.
- Registration priority is given to educators from the following school districts:
Massachusetts educators Use this link to verify eligibility and get your enrollment code.
This course will increase your capacity to implement formative assessments and use the resulting data to inform your instruction. You will explore formative assessment delivery options that facilitate immediate, targeted, actionable feedback to students. Each module will include a variety of materials that increase your knowledge of the theory and practice of formative assessments. You will dig into the why, what, and how of formative assessment and learn how it leads to increased student engagement and deeper learning for all students. Throughout the course, there will be multiple opportunities for all teachers from K-12 to explore and create a variety of formative assessment types.
This hybrid course runs for 3 weeks with rolling enrollment. Designed for collaborative district-based and school-based cohorts.
- One-time 30-minute Zoom launch
- 3 hours/week asynchronous work
- 1 hour/week Zoom community of practice meeting
Move at your own pace.
Attend weekly meeting for collaboration and feedback.
email [email protected] for more information